Proving a bona fide marriage for Immigration USA

On Behalf of | May 9, 2017 | Blog |

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) require that you provide certain evidence that your marriage to a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident is genuine or bona fide when filing for a Green Card.

In all cases the applicant must establish validity of his or her marriage. In all cases it is the responsibility of the applicant to prove that he or she has a valid marriage with his or her U.S, citizen spouse for a required period of time.

In order to assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly, your first step should be to speak with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney authorized to practice immigration law in all fifty states.

The following documentation and evidence serves to prove this:

To prove that your marriage is valid you will be required to provide a copy of your marriage certificate. Photographs of the spouses taken at the wedding in the company of other family members and friends can also be attached.

Evidence that the couple are living together in USA, with the apartment lease in both their names or a letter from the landlord indicating that both spouses live at that address or real property deeds or the mortgage proving joint tenancy. Copies of utility bills for water or electricity in the same names as the lease should also be provided.

Under normal romantic relationships, you would have evidence of joint celebrations, trips the couple have taken together, photos and letters of the couple before the marriage took place. It is helpful that these items refer to different instances and time frame throughout the relationship.

If there are children from the marriage, you should provide their birth certificates.

Most married couples do share their finances. Evidence of joint bank accounts, credit cards, savings accounts and joint income tax returns all should be provided. Also include proof of health or life insurance where the spouse is named as beneficiary, drivers’ license for the wife showing her married name and other membership cars for both parties.

Evidence of any major joint purchases such as an automobile, house appliances or equipment is also valid.

Letters from an employer showing the spouses’ new name, letters from friends and family affirming to your relationship and giving details on how they know you, for how long and that your relationship is genuine. If you can provide these letters from U.S nationals it is recommended.

In the case of a second marriage you must provide the divorce certificates. The validity of a divorce abroad depends on the divorce laws of that country that granted the divorce ad the reciprocity laws in the United States where the applicant remarried. Again, the applicant must establish validity of his or her divorce.

You should consult with a licensed attorney who is experienced in handling such cases before government agencies. The State Bar of Texas website can verify if an individual is licensed to practice law in Texas.

An experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas, can assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.