Refugees Requesting Asylum Entry to the U.S.

On Behalf of | Sep 26, 2016 | Blog |

The refugee crisis affecting most European countries due to the tragic situation in Syria has brought to the attention of the world the plight of millions of men, women and children from across the globe, who have had to flee for their lives from the place they have known and loved. The U.S. is working with the international community to reach a negotiated political solution to this crisis.

Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have been persecuted or and in danger of suffering persecution in their own country due to their race, religion, political beliefs or nationality.

Speaking with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney is the first step when dealing with any immigration issue. An experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas, and in all fifty states can assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.

The two ways for obtaining asylum in the U.S. are through the affirmative process or the defensive process. To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status, but this application must be submitted within one year to the date of your last arrival to the United States.

It is important to bring all documents that you have with you to your consultation with an immigration attorney. Something that may seem unimportant to you may be the key to winning your case. It is also important that you be able to provide information regarding your travel in and out of the United States and information relating to any arrests or detentions you may have had either by police or by immigration officers.

You are not permitted to apply for employment authorization while applying for asylum unless 150 days have passed since you filed your complete asylum application or if no decision has been made with respect to your application. Some people prefer to request the EAD or Employment Authorization for identification purposes. Once your application has been approved you can immediately apply for work.

Once you have been granted asylum you can bring your spouse and children under the age of 21 and unmarried. This petition should be requested within two years of being granted asylum. Again there is no processing fee to file Form I-730 which is the Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.

Always consult with an experienced immigration attorney who is a law graduate and certified in the United States of America by the Board of Immigration Appeals Federal Department of Justice.