Naturalization Test Modifications and Exceptions USA

On Behalf of | Aug 21, 2019 | Blog |


USCIS provides certain exceptions regarding the requirements for the naturalization process, to those who qualify. These accommodations are also provided to individuals with disabilities.

The English Language Requirement will not be required for people over the age of 50 who have been a permanent resident or Green Card holder and lived in the United States for 20 years or more at the time of filing for naturalization. You are still required to take the Civics Test.

Speaking with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney is the first step when dealing with any immigration issue. An experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas, and in all fifty states can assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.

People over the age of 55 who have lived in the US and been a permanent resident or Green Card holder for 15 years will qualify for the same exceptions as above. In both cases it is still a requirement to take the Civics Test.

If your knowledge of the spoken English language is insufficient to take the exam you may be permitted to take the Civics exam in your native language. In this case you must be accompanied by an interpreter who is fluent in both English and your native tongue.

People 65 and over who have had Permanent Resident status for at least 20 years when filing for naturalization may also receive special accommodation regarding the Civics test requirement.

You may be eligible for a medical disability exception to both the English and Civics tests for naturalization if this is due to a physical or mental disability or impairment. In this case form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions must be filed and completed by a licenses physician or osteopath.

After applying for naturalization and in order to be naturalized, you must take an oath of allegiance in a public ceremony. Certain modifications are permitted under law to the Oath of Allegiance.

Always consult with an experienced immigration attorney