Helping your fiance(e) secure a K-1 visa

On Behalf of | Sep 13, 2021 | Immigration, Naturalization |

If you have plans to get married, there are many different issues you might have to take into consideration, from wedding plans to future goals. However, if your fiance(e) is not a US citizen, you likely have additional factors to take into consideration. For example, you may need to secure a visa in order for them to live with you in the US.

For many couples planning on getting married, a K-1 visa can help them live together as they work toward getting married. However, there are a number of requirements you need to review.

An overview of K-1 visas

According to the U.S. Department of State, K-1 visas are nonimmigrant visas that allow foreign nationals engaged to U.S. citizens to visit the U.S. and get married. After the marriage, foreign nationals can apply for permanent residency.

In order to secure a K-1 visa, the U.S. citizen must file Form I-129F. After receiving a letter from the National Visa Center, you will need to attend an interview with your fiance(e) to obtain a K-1 visa.

K-1 visa requirements

First, you and your fiance(e) must have the legal ability to get married. You must have met your foreign fiance(e) in person in the last two years, although the USCIS sometimes grants exceptions to those facing hardships and those unable to meet due to cultural practices.

During the visa interview, you and your fiance(e) must bring various documents, such as the completed application form, photographs, evidence of your relationship and financial support,  a valid passport and a medical exam. Make sure you carefully understand these requirements in order to increase your chances of a successful application.