How military members can file naturalization paperwork

On Behalf of | May 15, 2020 | Blog, Immigration |

Individuals in Texas who have served in the military or are currently in the military can apply to become naturalized citizens online. Furthermore, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) says that military personnel can also receive notices from immigration officials and check the status of the cases online. It is important to note that individuals can still fill out a paper version of Form N-400 if they choose.

The USICS says that the goal is to process applications in a timely manner regardless of how eligible individuals choose to submit them. A person who wishes to submit forms or take other actions online will first need to create an account at the USICS website. In some cases, fees and other requirements to become a citizen will be waived for those who have served in the military or are currently serving.

It may be possible for the family members of military personnel to obtain certain rights or privileges under current immigration laws. In addition to applying for naturalization, military personnel may also file other immigration documents online. These documents include a petition to allow an alien family member into the country as well as an application to extend or change a person’s nonimmigrant status. Those who are already naturalized can ask for replacement documents through the USICS portal.

Individuals who have served in the military may provide themselves with a pathway to become naturalized citizens. An attorney may be able to help clients obtain citizenship for themselves and other immigration rights for their family members. This may be done by providing guidance as it relates to filling out or submitting paperwork to immigration officials.