Naturalization test to become an American citizen

On Behalf of | May 1, 2018 | Blog |


The process by which you apply to become a citizen of the United States is called Naturalization. Five years after becoming a permanent resident you may apply to become a citizen of the United States.

This time period is only three years, if you are married to living with your United States citizen, spouse during those three years.

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney before beginning the naturalization process. An immigration attorney can aid you in the process, by helping you to complete the application, which is over 20 pages long, preparing you for your naturalization interview, and attending the naturalization interview with you.

Once you apply for citizenship you will be schedule for an interview at the local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office. During your naturalization interview to become a US citizen, a USCIS Officer will ask you questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test. The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. The civics test covers important U.S. history and government topics. USCIS on their website offer study materials in both English and Spanish to prepare for your interview.

If you do not pass one or both of the tests the first time you have two opportunities to take the English and Civics tests per application. If you fail any portion of the test during your first interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed between 60 and 60+ days from the date of your initial interview. If you are scheduled for a second interview you will only be tested on the parts you did not pass, you will not have to retake the parts of the test that you did pass.

You may be exempt from some sections of the naturalization test, or you may qualify to take the civics and history test in your native language. You are exempt from the English language requirement, but still required to take the civics test in your native language if you are:

Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years.

Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years.

If you are age 65 or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years at the time of filing for naturalization, you are not only exempt from the English language requirement, but will be asked ten questions from a shorter list of civics and history questions.

If you qualify to be interviewed in your native language, you are required to bring a qualified interpreter with you to your naturalization interview.

Always consultwith anexperienced immigration attorney who is a law graduate and certified in the United States of America by the Board of Immigration Appeals Federal Department of Justice. Consult with The State Bar of Texas.

When you consult with an immigration attorney it is important that you are able to speak with an actual attorney. No one besides an attorney is able to give you legal advice, even an attorney’s assistant cannot give you legal advice, you must speak with an actual licensed attorney. You must also be able to understand the attorney. The attorney must either speak a language you understand or have a competent interpreter that will allow you to understand what the attorney is saying. If you cannot communicate with the attorney they will not be able to provide you safe advice. Never hire an attorney that you have not spoken with.

Speaking with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney is the first step when dealing with any immigration issue. An experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas, and in all fifty states can assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.