How to Renew the Permanent Resident Green Card in USA.

On Behalf of | Jan 12, 2018 | Blog |


There are several ways to renew your green card as a Permanent Resident; you can choose to use the services of an expert immigration attorney in Dallas, go to the USCIS website or contact the District Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services near you.

If you are spending a period of time abroad and your green card is due to expire within 6 months, and your return to the U.S. is within a one year time frame from the date of your departure, you should file for renewal as soon as you return. On the other hand if you are abroad when the card expires, and you did not apply for a renewal before leaving the U.S., it is vital that you contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or U.S. Port of entry before attempting to file the form I- 60+ requesting a renewal.

As a Permanent Resident the card must be renewed every 10 years with Form I-551 whether your card has expired or will expire within the following 6 months. These instructions do not apply If you are a conditional resident with a 2 year permit. In these cases the form to be filed is I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If information on your green card has changed, is incorrect, has been damaged or if you have misplaced your card you should request a replacement. If you discover that your Permanent Resident card has been stolen, this should be reported immediately to the police and to USCIS. The law states that “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him”.

In the instance that your application for renewal of your green card is denied you will be sent a letter explaining the reason for this denial. The best course of action is to submit a motion to have the application reopened or reconsidered. This must be submitted to the same USCIS office that denied your request.

When you consult with an immigration attorney it is important that you are able to speak with an actual attorney. No one besides an attorney is able to give you legal advice, even an attorney’s assistant cannot give you legal advice, you must speak with an actual licensed attorney. You must also be able to understand the attorney. The attorney must either speak a language you understand or have a competent interpreter that will allow you to understand what the attorney is saying. If you cannot communicate with the attorney they will not be able to provide you safe advice. Never hire an attorney that you have not spoken with.

Speaking with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney is the first step when dealing with any immigration issue. An experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas, and in all fifty states can assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.