How to extend stay in United States for non-immigrants

by | May 5, 2016 | Blog |

There are several non-immigrant visas for foreigners who wish to extend their stay within the U.S. territory, for different reasons such as business, studies, or health, without the intention to immigrate.

Reina Bates Contact

The length of stay varies depending on which visa is approved. When you entered the first port of call within the U.S. or its territories, a government agent reviewed your documentation and you were admitted with a arrival and departure date stamped on your passport, or form I-94.

How can you extend your stay as a non-immigrant?

A foreigner who was admitted into this country legally can request an extension to their status. Apart from entering legally approval is dependent on you not having committed any crimes that would make you illegible for a visa, not violated any of the conditions of your admission and that your passport is valid and will not expire for the remainder of your stay in the U.S.


You can now request an extension of your visa as a non-immigrant or request a change in your status as non-immigrant, going online to the Electronic Immigration System of USCIS. This user friendly application gives you access to create your account, to submit and view certain benefit requests, receive notification of decisions and make payments online.

You can do all your paperwork electronically and taking into account that your request will not be accepted and processed immediately, you can follow up on the status of your request.

Always consult with an experienced immigration attorney who is a law graduate and certified in the United States of America by the Board of Immigration Appeals Federal Department of Justice.

Law firm Dallas .  bufete de abogados inmigración Houston  .  Attorneys immigration Texas